January… Pitch black and cold…

Not posted on here for a while, having to work 5 days a week has sucked big time, by the time I get home its dark, so no work can be done on the car. My Dad is only free on Saturdays to help, and given that this is a big learning curve for me, I need the help. Throughout the last month or so, the priority has been to stop water getting into the footwells of the car. As of today this is now (hopefully) done.

Below is the crack in the bulkhead, this was visible once the old repair plate was removed, it was stuck down with double sided foam… not the best.

Damage to bulkhead

 

The Repair plate was cracked aswell, so this was replaced with a new one from ebay for £17 delivered.

20121226_130057

 

Out came the welder! Luckily my Dad is a dab hand.

 

20121231_092758

 

 

Cleaning as I went along! Still need to fit the new Rad!20130101_151827

 

 

Welded and in primer, not needing to be beautiful as its being covered! The black stuff is bitumen as the seal on the Scuttle Panel leaked water down and into the hole, so this was attempt number 1 to stop it.20130105_143800

 

Dad adding a Bitumen layer to seal the repair plate.

 

20130105_144927

 

 

 

The Repair plate fitted with bolts and a good seal! It was cleaned up after!20130105_160815

 

 

New Air filter20130106_125256

 

Second hand door rubber seal as mine is missing on the rear door, £17 delivered is certainly better than £51 new.20130112_092523

 

 

I will admit at this point, that after the effort that went in to sealing up the repair plate, with Bitumen that is used for Gutter seals etc. I thought that would be the end of it, I thought this weekend would of been the one where I put the interior and Dashboard in the car, and went for a drive… However… This is an old car, and they need a lot of love… So on Saturday morning I woke to a wet footwell, still.

It was time to sort out the Scuttle panel, and seal it up once and for all. So it was a trip to Halfords for some Chemical Metal, and Grey Stripe seam sealant. The old seal on the Scuttle panel was removed with a wire drill bit, and was clearly no longer a good seal.

20130112_100717

 

20130112_113354

 

 

Chemical Metal going on! It literally took 5 minutes to go off, great stuff20130112_115051

 

 

I forgot to take a picture of the final seal with the Grey stripe over the top, but the full seam line of the Scuttle panel has been sealed and has not leaked since! Tonight the car will sleep without its cover!

As the car had been sat for weeks on end without starting I charged the battery, tied an old shoelace to the carb to pull the choke, and hey presto, it started up first time!

Drove fine too!

Not long now!

20130113_143007

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s